Obesity is not a black and white issue. There are many underlying causes of obesity, and many different ways to treat it. Some methods work for some and not for others.
Now, researchers know why.
A recent Yorkshire Health Study took a look at a group of 4,000 obese adults and was able to place them into six distinct groups.
- Young healthy females – women who were obese, but generally had fewer obesity-related complications, such as type 2 diabetes
- Heavy-drinking males – as above, but with higher alcohol intake
- Unhappy and anxious middle-aged – predominantly women with poor mental health and wellbeing
- Affluent and healthy elderly – generally positive health, but defining characteristics of higher alcohol intake and high blood pressure
- Physically sick but happy elderly – older people with more chronic diseases, such as osteoarthritis, but good mental health
- Poorest health – people who were the most economically deprived and had the greatest number of chronic diseases
This research is important because understanding the underlying causes of obesity can help a person combat it. This is a huge step forward in obesity treatment, but more research needs to be done.
Although the pictures shown above, do not have to do with this study, understanding where one holds weight is essential to losing it.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF BODY FAT DISTRIBUTION: ANDROID AND GYNOID
According to PositiveMed:
“An ‘android’ fat distribution pattern is so called because more men than women exhibit it. You may have heard it described as an ‘apple’ body type when the waist circumference is greater than that of the hips.”
“A ‘gynoid’ distribution is most commonly seen in women. This is what many call the ‘pear’ body shape. In this pattern, hip circumference is greater than waist circumference.”
LET US BREAK DOWN THE NUMBERS FOR YOU!
1. UPPER BODY OBESITY (ANDROID)
This typically means one is eating too much and not exercising enough. Try cutting back on the sweets, and try exercising for 30 minutes a day. If this does not help, see a healthcare professional.
2. STOMACH-CENTERED OBESITY (ANDROID)
Extra weight in this area can be caused by stress, anxiety or depression. Pairing exercise and relaxation techniques may be the best method to fix this problem. Again, seeking the help of a healthcare professional or therapist is advised.